When we decided to go to Kelowna for our summer trip, I knew I had to go back to Kangaroo Creek Farm. I went last year for my sister’s bachelorette party weekend and LOVED IT!
Unfortunately in the thick of summer, the farm is just swarming with children, which suck. So, it wasn’t quite as fun as when I went in May with the girls. But, Ian and I still enjoyed seeing all the animals, and had a listen to the reptile education session, which was great and very cool and informative. I learned a lot about turtles (they can feel the surface of their shells?!!).
We didn’t get to hold a joey, due to the overwhelming demand it put on the park staff and animals 😦 so that was a bummer. We did get to them cuddled up in baby carriages, which I love love loved! Sooooo cute. I want them!
I clearly have a maternal instinct- it is just for animals, NOT humans. Who knew? (I did tho..). 🙂
We were back at another brewery of course- Hwy 97 Brewery in Penticton!
Featuring…lots of haze and smoky skies, courtesy of the wildfire situation happening all over B.C. at the moment. In Victoria right now, it’s crazy smoky and the air quality is really poor. I am happy to say it wasn’t that bad in Kelowna- some high haze but still fairly warm and sunny. It got a lot worse when we left actually- they had to shut down the airports! Yikes…
Dirty Laundry winery.
Anyways we went to the interior for a bit of sun and summer warmth (that was only partially thwarted by the wilfires). We visited wineries, went on a run to the 12 trestles trail at the Kettle Valley Railway,. ate at restaurants, bought wine by the case (me), went to breweries and cideries, did some short hikes with Gidget and swimming! (pool, Similkimeen River and Okanagan Lake).
Hot dog! At Dirty Laundry winery.
All in all, it felt really good to get away.
Swimming in the Similkimeen. COLD!
Really smoky in Keremeos. View from a winery.
Finished the run at the Kettle Valley Railway. Hot but good!
Vice & Virtue Brewery art- Kelowna.
Yes we did a lot of this!!
A great weekend, followed by some intense strangeness and disquiet.
A death, crazy smoke covering the sky, blocking out the sun and raining ash on us, crimes, big and small.
It’s strange! I feel strange and smothered.
But anyways, let’s focus on the things that went right:
- Rode this weekend (no polo though, was up-Island) and Oats was good! We even jumped the scary ‘skinny brush jump’ out in the field in a blazing hot day.
- We canoed, probably for the first time in a hundred years for me- and took Gidget! She actually really enjoyed it. 🙂
- I enjoyed many beers, cocktails and wine- always a good time.
- We picked plums! Carrots! Beets! Chard!
- Had happy hour with a good buddy on Friday AND got off work early.
- Went swimming (floating) at Thetis Lake and hurt my neck paddling. Turns out I am older than I thought. Ha. It still hurts today though, which is not so funny…two days and counting.
- Rode in a pretty intense dressage lesson last night, despite my sore neck. Not technical, but more like focusing on the elements of ‘lengthen’ strides. It was pretty good!
- I ran! Lots of running and am happy with how my legs are feeling on the weekends- not so much during the week, they suck then, but hey weekends are awesome!
Here’s to more fun and adventure, despite the oppressive feelings that are threatening to crush us these days. It seriously feels like the apocalypse with this eerie red-grey sky!