It’s come and gone! Rifflandia 2014 was a success!
I was lucky enough to be able to get a full pass and we enjoyed lots of music, from the night stages (Market Square on Thursday night) to the park pass Fri-Sun. It was exhausting, but good. I mean, it only comes 1X a year so why not?
My friend came from Vancouver to the Saturday park show and I was so glad. She loves good music, as do I, so it’s always great to have her stay with us.
Standouts include Death Cab for Cutie. I can’t get enough of them live, ever. They are my favourite band, hands down. And, I learned recently that Chris Walla would be leaving DCFC, leaving a significant gap to be filled. So, we watched his last performance with the band, a bittersweet but solid closing.
And you can check that out here
- Many to name: New Pornographers- ok but wanted more of their old stuff, and they played ALL their new stuff. Sigh!
- Dragonette- ok, a bit poppy for my liking.
- Airborne Toxic Event- GOOD. This is a solid band. Getting better all the time.
- Girl Talk- ok, not reaally my type of music but fun and upbeat. Can’t beat the spectacle of glitter/confetti/water guns/floating Earth ball/confetti balloons.
- Funk Hunters- good, but again not my type of music. Seems like there was a ton of electronic/dj/funk/dance/house this year and I’m not a fan.
- Serena Ryder- Excellent! Not loving her stuff on the radio, listen to her live. She belts it out!
- Zed’s Dead- ok, electronic dance-mix stuff. I don’t mind listening to some of it.
- Half Moon Run- you know, I thought I would like them more? I just…didn’t. I found their music really lacked a big ‘hook’ for me…It was kind of boring.
This year was a marked departure from last year’s Rifflandia, that featured a lot of big-name artists (Courtney Love, Wintersleep, Sloan, Death From Above 1979, Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros, Stars, Mounties) to name a few…And I have to say I didn’t like it was much.
I will definitely go next year but maybe not the full pass.